Monday, June 20, 2011

Cybernation


Guess who's back... back again. JJ's back... Amundson.

That's right. I've been released from my Internet hibernation, A.K.A. cybernation. A lot has happened since my last blog post. The last time my beautiful word choice graced the fine site known as theprobasketballtalk.com instead of a dusty old local newspaper I was spitting straight truth about how the Mavericks wanted the title more than the Heat did. Man, it's great to be right all the time. The Mavs won it all, and since I drew Dallas when we decided who would cover which teams on the blog throughout the playoffs, this clearly means that I am not only the best blogger on this site, but also the greatest basketball blogger who ever lived.

Self-praise and championships aside, the NBA season has officially ended, but there is still a lot to be excited about when it comes to the NBA. That is, if there is an NBA next season. Did anyone else hear that the owners want the players to start signing non-guaranteed contracts like in the NFL? If that's what the players and owners are hung up on, I don't expect to see professional basketball in the United States ever again, because the players would never let that happen.

The draft is right around the corner and Jacob, new guy Josh and some other bozo will be in attendance. Apparently, we aren't credible enough to get media access at the event, so we'll be paying spectators just like the rest of you peons. Unacceptable. That combined with the event being in Newark, NJ, I already feel dirty. If you want to see me though we'll be around the arena with our video camera filming some fan reaction. I'll be the one interviewing people and getting on their nerves so look forward to that. Hopefully we'll get on TV, too. I'll be the one screaming at the top of my lungs in joyous excitement when the Celtics trade up to snag Chandler Parsons of Florida with the 29th pick.

Other steals:
Derrick Williams: I don't expect this to happen, but there have been rumblings that Williams could slip because of his desire to possibly play the small forward position and teams being turned off by his lack of a set position. When will people learn? They're just basketball players! If they're good they will play well regardless of position.
Kawhi Leonard: San Diego State had some other nice players, but this kid still basically turned a nothing school into a legit ranked powerhouse last season. I'm liking the Kings at No. 7 to pick up this fine hooper but I think Cleveland would be dumb to pass on him at No. 4. Another "tweener" that could be a huge payoff for the squad that selects him.
Kenneth Faried: Being from Newark, NJ, this banger could end up being the Ronny Turiaf (he kind of plays and looks like him too) of this years draft who shows up to get his hat from David Stern uninvited. Like many people I chose Morehead State to win a couple games in the NCAA Tournament because of the hilarious name, but then I caught a glimpse of this kid play and latched on as a real fan. I've seen few guys go after rebounds like he does and he's another guy that will drop because he lacks height at power forward, but will be successful regardless due to ability and desire.
David Lighty: Mocks have him going late second round but the former Buckeye can flat out shoot. Name one team that doesn't need more outside shooting. Trick question, you always need more shooting. He'll have a nice career regardless of how far he slips.
Greg Smith: He's from Fresno St. and I've never seen him play, but I have a friend by this name so I'll have a close eye on him.

(Notice I didn't mention my boy Jimmer. I still have no idea how his game will translate to the pros.)

That's it. Follow me on Twitter.

And that's the bottom line, because I said so. See you at the draft!

No comments:

Post a Comment